Changing the game
The key: separate prohibition from disarmament.
Outlaw nuclear weapons now. Disarmament will follow later.
Two steps to a world free of nuclear weapons:
- Negotiate, conclude and bring into force a ban.
- Negotiate the disarmament and verification process.
Nuclear-weapon states need not be involved in step 1.
Nuclear weasel states (NATO members and other umbrella-dwellers) need not be involved in step 1.
Step 1 could be achieved in as little as two years.
There are around 140 states which could start step 1 now.
What are they waiting for?
Step 1 requires only a simple treaty:
- that completely and permanently bans the acquisition, possession, transfer and use of nuclear weapons: no exceptions, no loopholes, no withdrawals.
- that non-nuclear-weapon states parties to the NPT may join freely.
- that nuclear-weapon states (NPT parties or not) may join after entry into force by negotiating an accession protocol stipulating time-bound disarmament steps and verification provisions (Step 2).
(Click here to read more about the treaty in a separate window)
It's time to change the game. >